17 South Water St.
Theater was originally built as the Hicksite Quaker Meeting House on
Main Street near Ray’s Court in 1831. The building hosted abolitionist
Lucretia Coffin Mott, born on Nantucket, and black abolitionists including
Charles Lenox Remond as speakers between 1835 and 1845.
after 1850 it was used briefly as a straw hat factory and skating
rink. It was moved in 1833 to Brant Point to become part of the Nantucket
Hotel and was floated to its present location in 1905. It is now
the island’s largest movie house, operating only in
Heritage Trail® Next